Census Designated Place Fort Denaud, Hendry County FL

Fort Denaud FL (1)Fort Denaud FL is a census-designated place located along the banks of the Caloosahatchee River just north of Route 80 in Hendry County. The area known as Fort Denaud drew its name from a US Army Post established in the area in 1837. The fort, also known as Fort Deynaud, was established as one of a series of posts linking American operations south of Tampa to the east coast. Today very little of the history of this fort remain in the area. Visitors to Fort Denaud will find a historic marker, a cemetery and a few old building remnants that may have once been part of Fort Denaud. The historic marker reads:

"The combined pressure of growing white settlement in Florida and federal policy of relocating Indian tribes west of the Mississippi sparked the outbreak of the 2nd Seminole War in 1835. Controlling the coasts and campaigning in the heart of Seminole lands were the objectives of Major General Thomas Jesup in 1837. Captain B. L. E. Bonneville established Fort Denaud in 1838 as one of a series of posts liking American operations south of Tampa to the east coast. It was constructed on the south bank of the Caloosahatchee River 27 miles from Fort Myers on land owned by Pierre Denaud, a French Indian trader. The fort consisted of tents with a blockhouse in their midst. It served as a supply depot for troops in the Lake Okeechobee area and was utilized intermittently until the war ended in 1842. Fort Denaud was reopened in 1855, soon after the outbreak of the 3rd Seminole War. Additions included company quarters, hospital guardhouse, sutler's store and stables. A few months after a fire ravaged the post in in June 1856, another site on the north bank of the river two miles west was chosen. The fort, which was abandoned in May 1858, gave its name to the nearby town of Denaud."

The approach to Fort Denaud features one of Florida's historic swing bridges. In 1963 this swing-style bridge was built across the Caloosahatchee at the site. The bridge was previously used on the Intercoastal Waterway in Pompano Beach and was moved to its current location to replace a bridge that had been located a few yards upstream but had been condemned and removed in the early 1960's.

Fort Denaud FL (16)

The Fort Denaud area is now mainly orange groves and is used for citrus trucking and shipping. Many residential properties and newer homes can also be found in what is known as Fort Denaud Florida.

CountySpot Directories has visited Fort Denaud and collected photos of Fort Denaud.

Search Articles & Events