Town of Jupiter Island in Martin County FL

Jupiter Island Beach (4)The Town of Jupiter Island in Martin County FL consists of about 1,643 acres of land located on a barrier island between the Atlantic Ocean and the Intracoastal Waterway. The island offers nine miles of ocean frontage and is among the most valuable real estate available in the United States. According to the 2010 US Census the permanent population of Jupiter Island is 820 which swells to approximately 2,000 during season.

The earliest known people to populate the Island were the Ais and Seminole Indians. Like most of Florida, the first European explorers on the Island were the Spanish.

The history of Jupiter Island began in the early 1800s, when land was plentiful and ownership of that land was the gateway to wealth. In 1815 the land which would become the Town of Jupiter Island was awarded to Don Eusebio Gomez by the King and Queen of Spain and the Governor of Florida. The grant, known as the "Gomez Grant" covered roughly 12,000 acres surrounding the Loxahatchee and Indian Rivers, as well as a narrow strip of barrier island between the St. Lucie Inlet and the Jupiter Inlet. The name given this land area was derived from the Spanish word for the supreme god of Roman Mythology, “Jobe” (pronounced Hoe-Bay), which eventually evolved to the Anglicized version, Hobe Sound. The barrier island was identified as “Jupiter,” a variation of the Spanish “Jobe.”

The original property from the Gomez grant would change hands many times during the Florida real estate boom and decline of the early 1900's. An Inn would be constructed on the island and a modern, nine-hole golf course was built in 1922.

In 1934, Joseph V. Reed purchased most of the land from other owners’ shares in the Hobe Sound Company and began a new period of Island development.In 1944, with 75 residents on the Island, Joseph Reed and his wife Permelia founded the Jupiter Island Residents Committee, The Island Club and its Board of Directors. In the next year Joseph Reed donated the land for the police station and the firehouse. The Reeds also gave the land that is now the Hobe Sound Beach to Martin County for use as a public beach. The Town became an incorporated town of Martin County in 1953.

The climate and environmental resources of Jupiter Island have contributed to the development of what has become a high-quality, low-density residential community that seeks to preserve its natural resources. Most of the Town of Jupiter Island features secluded estates tracts of land designated for conservation and preservation. Only a few commercial land uses exist within the Town and primarily serve residents of Jupiter Island.

The Town of Jupiter Island is best described in the words of Circuit Court Judge Wallace Sample during a zoning hearing many years ago.

The community is unique – it is the one and only, different from all others, having no like or equal. It is unusual, extraordinary and rare. It was cut from one mold and its counterpart cannot be found elsewhere. Many people would consider it dead – but it is very much alive with genteel living, friendship and compatibility. The Town doesn’t want what many others have, but many others would be better off if they had more of what this Town has and wants to keep- seclusion, solitude and tranquility.

This description is even featured on the Town of Jupiter's Official Website.

Town of Jupiter Island (16)

CountySpot Directories has visited the Town of Jupiter Island and collected; Jupiter Island Photos and Jupiter Island Events.

External Links for the Town of Jupiter Island
Official town site - http://townofjupiterisland.com/

Search Articles & Events