The Laurel Mill in Franklin County NC

Laurel Mill (1)One of the best spots to visit if you find yourself traveling through Franklin County NC is the old Laurel Mill which is located to the north east of Louisburg. This mid 1800’s water mill is clearly visible from the bridge crossing Sandy Creek on Laurel Mill – Centerville Rd. It takes only about 15 minutes to reach this historic spot from Louisburg and it is well worth the short trip. The Laurel Mill is a privately owned property which was once used for grist mill operations.

The wide open view of the mill, stream and dam from the road and bridge have allowed the Laurel Mill to become a hot spot for photographers looking to capture the beauty and history of Franklin County.

The Laurel Mill dates back to the mid-1800’s. The dam powering the mill stretches between two large rock outcrops, and impounds water from Devil’s Cradle Creek, Flatrock Creek, and outlets from several farm ponds. The resulting stream becomes Sandy Creek below the Laurel Mill Dam. Laurel Mill is not open to the public. However, it can be easily photographed from the bridge over Sandy Creek, as well as from the road on the east and west banks. Laurel Mill was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1975.

See more CountySpot photos of Laurel Mill.

Directions to Laurel Mill: From US-401 in Louisburg, take NC-561 east for several miles. Turn left onto Laurel Mill Road at the sign pointing to Laurel Mill School. At the intersection with Jones Chapel Road, bear right, across the bridge. The mill will be immediately on the left.

 


 

Search Articles & Events