Historic Stranahan House in Fort Lauderdale, Broward County FL

The Stranahan House was built in 1901 along the New River in the area that would become Fort Lauderdale by Frank Stranahan. 27 year old Frank, originally from Ohio, arrived in the Ft Lauderdale area in 1893 to work for a trading company owned by his cousin. Frank quickly established a reputation as a fair trader and businessman and would purchase land along the New River to establish his own trading post to barter with the Seminole Indians of the region. Stranahan's trading post was established in 1894. The settlement would continue to grow during the following years as Frank also became the postmaster, general store owner, bank owner and a prominent land owner.

Stranahan House (2)Upon its completion in 1901 the Historic Stranahan House served as the new trading post on the lower floors and a community hall on its upper floors.Frank's original trading post building was renovated and would become the residence of Frank and Ivy Stranahan. Frank and Ivy Stranahan were instrumental to the growth of the settlement which would become incorporated as Fort Lauderdale in 1911. In 1926 the Florida land boom would begin to collapse and Frank Stranahan comitted suicide on May 22, 1929 by drowning in the New River.

 

The Stranahan House was purchased by the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society in 1975. The house was restored and opened to the public in 1984 as a museum and today hosts thousands of visitors per year. Educational programs for children as well as general tours and tours of the New River are all offered at the Stranahan House. Visit the official site of the Stranahan House for more details on this important historical site in Broward County, Florida.

Location of the Historic Stranahan House

Search Articles & Events