Historic Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse, Broward County FL

The Historic Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse in Broward County FL is a octagonal iron pyramid tower standing along the Florida coast between Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton marking the Hillsboro Inlet and the northern end of an underwater coral reef formation with a revolving beam of light seen as many as 28 nautical miles offshore. This historic Hillsboro Beach landmark was added to the National Register of Historic Places in Broward County in 1974 and was even honored by the US Postal Service with its own 37 cent stamp in 2003.

The Hillsboro Inlet Light Station, also known as the Coast Guard Hillsboro Inlet Station was built in Detroit Michigan by the Russel Wheel and Foundry Company and established at the Hillsboro Inlet when the United States Lighthouse Establishment convinced Congress to authorize construction of a lighthouse to mark the dark area around this Inlet. Construction of the light station was authorized in 1901 and the Hillsboro Light Station was first lit in 1907. The tower stands 136 feet above sea level acting as a coastal navigation aide and supports local inlet traffic to the Hillsboro Inlet Waterway.

In 1997 the Hillsboro Lighthouse Preservation Society was formed to preserve this historic site in Broward County and serves to maintain the tower and educate the public about this important landmark. The Society also organizes events and tours of the lighthouse. You can learn more about the Preservation Society and the history of this Broward County Historic Site by visiting their official website - http://www.hillsborolighthouse.org/.

View more photos of the Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse in our Hillsboro Inlet Park photo album.

Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse (4)

Location of the Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse

Search Articles & Events