Historic Gate House, Martin County FL

The Gate House is a historic property in Martin County Florida, located at 214 South Beach Road in the town of Jupiter Island. The Gate House was added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 21, 2001. The property, which islanders call Gate House, is actually a collection of buildings, decked in off-white stucco and barrel tile roofs.The houses on the property were built by the Yateses, a wealthy railroad family from upstate New York. According to written histories of the island kept at the Martin County Historical Society, their son, Jack Yates, built most of the surrounding buildings sometime before 1927.

The Gate House is located on private property, hidden by a dark, tropical jungle and cannot be viewed from public property. Should you chose to visit this historic location in Martin County please respect the owners and remain on public grounds. Gate House is currently owned by Dave Phillips who owns a North Carolina realty company and specializes in restoration. Phillips bought the property in April 1999 for $1.1 million and was instrumental in getting the historic home on the National Register of Historic Places as a good example of the architectural style evidenced in many early South Florida homes.

In its century-long history, Gate House is said to have been occupied by Katharine Hepburn, Edsel Ford, the son of pioneering automaker Henry Ford, and acclaimed playwright Philip Barry.

Gate House sign

Location of the Historic Gate House in Martin County FL

Search Articles & Events